"No, Katie!" Teddy's words startled his little sister as he pulled her hand away from the lamp. Katie started to cry and squirmed out of her brother's grasp.
"What's going on?" asked Mother as she entered the living room.
"Katie almost knocked the lamp over," said Teddy. "She was trying to reach the light bulb." He lifted her in his arms and kissed her cheek, but she only cried louder. "I guess she doesn't know the bulb is hot and would burn her hand."
"No, Katie doesn't realize she could be hurt," Mother answered. "She wants to touch everything she sees. That's why you and I are here to take care of her."
Teddy smiled at his little sister. "You might not think I'm being very nice, but someday you'll understand."
Later that evening, Mother came into Teddy's room to say good night. She found him sitting on the bed, a frown on his face. "What's wrong?" Mother asked.
"I'm worried about going to the dentist tomorrow," replied Teddy.
"We could pray about it," suggested Mother.
Teddy's frown deepened. "Yeah," he said softly, "but sometimes God doesn't answer my prayers the way I want Him to."
Mother put her arm around Teddy's shoulder. "Remember this afternoon when Katie tried to touch the lamp?" Teddy nodded. "You knew your little sister could get hurt," Mother said, "so you stopped her before anything bad happened."
"What's that got to do with my going to the dentist?" asked Teddy.
Mother smiled. "When God doesn't answer our prayers the way we think He should, it could be because He knows more than we do." She pulled Teddy closer. "As Katie gets older and realizes you want what is best for her, she will learn to trust you more."
Teddy thought for a moment. "And I should trust God more, too, right?"
Mother nodded. "So shall we talk to Him about it?"
Yeah," agreed Teddy. "Let's pray and ask God to. . . ." Teddy stopped in mid-sentence. "I was going to say, 'Let's ask God to make sure nothing hurts me at the dentist.' But I guess I really should pray that God will do what He thinks is best for me, right? That's hard!"
Mother smiled and gave Teddy a big hug.
Things may not always go the way you wish .
Don't be afraid to tell God how you feel about things. Believe that He hears your prayers and wants to help you. Then trust Him even if you don't get your way. He wants the best for you.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" - Jeremiah 29:11
I know it all ; 3:24 PM.